In this two-part video presentation, I summarize the benefits of extensive (BIG) reading. In Part 1, I define extensive reading, using the phrase “reading BEE.” That is, extensive reading is Big, Easy, and Enjoyable.
In Part 2, I summarize the benefits of extensive reading, using the word MASTERFUL. That is, extensive reading helps promote MASTERFUL English because of its relationship to the following factors.
- Motivation: ER motivates reading and learning.
- Attitude: ER improves attitudes.
- Syntax: ER develops learner syntax and grammar.
- Thinking: ER improves thinking, that is writing.
- Ears: ER benefits listening skills.
- Riches: ER enriches physical, emotional, and intellectual life.
- Fluency: ER increases reading automaticity and fluency.
- Uber-text: ER employs the supreme form of content, namely stories.
- Lexis: ER improves vocabulary and word knowledge.
I’m posting these videos here for my linguistics students at Meiji Gakuin University, but if you find them helpful, please share them with your colleagues and friends.